2.29.2008

Deep Blue Something comes to Brooklyn to Play Breakfast at Tiffany's one more time

Last night I went with some friends to a little bar/concert venue in Brooklyn called Southpaw to see Deep Blue Something, that 1-hit wonder band that came out with Breakfast at Tiffany's back in 1996.  Only around 25 people were at the bar, and it wasn't a usual concert setting; most of the crowd was sitting on couches towards the back, relaxing, and some people were even playing pool during the performance.  I'm not sure if the band ever pulled real crowds, but I wonder what they expected when they decided to go back on tour - it's got to be hard when an audience sits through your whole set and only reacts when you play that one single you are probably sick of playing.

Two other bands played as well - Porter Block, and Greater Good, the second of which made their way to New York City for the first time from Texas.  I enjoyed all three performances, but if I had to pick one to see again I'd go with Greater Good - they had the most energetic set (all the more impressive given the audience), and the most catchy music.  I'd see Porter Block too, and will listen to both bands more.  This is it for me and Deep Blue Something though  (after capturing the above video of "Breakfast at Tiffany's" live).